Monday 17 November 2008

2008/01 First Solo Mark

Click on the title to see the video on DailyMotion

Well, to be honest, it was the second first solo. My first first solo was in a Dwarf TMG, I was ready for my cross country solo on the TMG when we decided to buy the Diamond. Because our future flight would be in the Diamond I chose to switch the remaining instruction for my PPL/SE immediately to the Diamond and do a combined exam.

In the past I had fear-of-flying. Not at a BA or Philippe level but enough to get all sweaty even when aboard an airliner. More than 20 flights in 4 weeks during our honeymoon helped a lot, but still I was easily scared at every abnormal bump or sound.

No wonder that flying solo has never been one of my favorite hobbies. I think it gets more of a psychological hurdle, because unlike in an airliner, as a solo pilot your are very much in control (or you'd better be).

So although the weather was perfect, it still felt as a big victory to make just that simple circuit. I can't even remember if I ever left the airport circuit. After the first solo and the big relieve it gets easier and easier to make the needed solo hours and prepare for the required cross country solo.



Pancake Airlines Crew is trained by Dwarf Powered Gliders (www.dwarf.nl) and Wings over Holland (www.wingsoverholland.nl). Information on the PH-PCA Diamond DA40 can be found on www.diamond-aircraft.at. You can click on the title link to see the video on DailyMotion.

No comments: